MANDATORY EQUIPMENT 2017
The equipment listed below is the minimum you are expected to carry. In bad weather you should consider carrying additional items of clothing. If you are in any doubt as to what might be acceptable within these rules either take additional items or ask us before you start. Kit checks will be made before and after the event and we reserve the right to disqualify any competitors who, in our opinion, do not have the necessary kit to survive an emergency situation out on the hills.
Individual Clothing & Equipment
Every competitor must carry or wear the following:
- Waterproof coat with hood (not pertex or other showerproof materials) and full length waterproof trousers.
- Hat and gloves
- Thermal vest or similar
- Tracksters or trousers of at least 3/4 length
- Footwear designed for off trail use suitable for mountain conditions
- Sleeping bag (full body length with a minimum Lower Comfort Temperature of 4degC as defined by EN13537 OR at least 1 season)
- Torch capable of giving operational light for at least six hours plus spare bulb (if not LED type)
- Compass (not electronic)
- Pencil or pen (chinagraph pencil recommended)
Every team must carry the following equipment:
- One tent with sewn-in groundsheet: it must be manufactured as a tent and not as a bivy or something else. N.B. 2x single person tents are not allowed.
- Survival bag (not a space blanket)
- Cooking equipment – with enough fuel to provide both people with at least one hot meal and drink.
- Food sufficient for 2 people for 36 hours PLUS a small amount emergency rations to remain at the end of day 2 (eg 2 chocolate bars)
- First aid equipment consisting of a minimum of one large wound dressing, adhesive dressings and one full roll of two inch bandage & safety pin
- Mourne Map 1:25000 recommended either waterproofed or with case/bag.
- Mobile Phone PARENT-JUNIOR TEAMS ONLY
- GPS navigation devices. (GPS tracking devices and altimeters are allowed – see FAQs for more info).